The app has been transitioned from a paid app to a free app effective 10/15/2017. As part of this transition, support will be limited.
Purpose-built for surfers who have busy lives and can’t be checking the surf report and webcams all day long. The app will notify you when the conditions for surfing are ideal.
Please verify below that there are buoys available near you before downloading.
* Automatically checks for updated conditions 5 minutes after the hour. Buoy data updates every hour on the hour.
* When the conditions are good, you will be notified on your phone and Android Wear smartwatch.
* Does not vibrate or make a sound after 6pm and before 6am.
* Semi-persistent notification in status bar will always keep you up to date with the latest conditions at a glance while staying out of your way when conditions are poor.
* For your convenience, you can now quickly log a surf session to Google Fit after your done. This activity will be added to your Google Fit account and show up in a large range of other fitness apps integrated with Google Fit. For more information see: https://fit.google.com/
We do not store any of your fitness activity within our app or on your phone. Logged surf sessions are securely saved to your Google Fit account where you control the information.
Note that NOAA buoys do not always report every piece data each hour. Sometimes you will see ‘No Data’ or ‘Unavailable’ for those fields which the buoy is not reporting.
Data is provided by NOAA Coastwatch. We do not control their servers or their buoys and make no claims about their reliability or availability.
For an example of the areas currently covered by NOAA buoys see (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/?lat=20.000000&lon=-120.000000&zoom=2&type=h&status=r&pgm=IOOS%20Partners|Marine%20METAR|NDBC%20Meteorological/Ocean|NERRS|NOS/CO-OPS|Oil%20and%20Gas%20Industry&op=&ls=false).
NOTE that there is no support for the Arctic Ocean, Southern Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, or Indian Ocean. Coverage of the Atlantic Ocean is limited to the Northwest Atlantic Ocean. There is no coverage of the Southern or Eastern Atlantic Ocean.
There is no guarantee that using this app will enable you to catch every single good swell, but it will certainly help you know when it gets good!
Please report bugs and issues to MichaelPrentice@DevIntent.com.
App requires Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean).
Smartwatch support requires Android 4.3+.
Full Material Design layout and styling requires Android 5.x.
Many thanks to Tyson Kemp for his work on the app’s icons and his feedback on the design.
Open-source libraries in use:
* Joda Time Android
Explanation of Permissions
These permissions are required for getting data from the buoys over the network:
* full network access
* view network connections
These permissions are required for Google Maps and Google Fit support:
* read Google service configuration
* approximate location (network-based) NOTE: This is not GPS location.
* modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
* read the contents of your USB storage
These permissions are required for notifying you of epic waves:
* run at startup
* control vibration